3 hours 36 mins
3 hours 56 mins
8 servings, about 1 cup each
- 1½ cups dry quinoa
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth, divided use
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or chives or parsley)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 6 tsp. prepared pesto sauce
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups shredded (or grated) carrots
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, and basil in a 3-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Mix well and cover; cook on low for 3 to 3½ hours, or until chicken is not pink and quinoa is tender. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Remove lid. Add remaining 3 cups broth, 1 cup at a time, until mixture resembles the consistency of risotto. You may not need to add all of the broth.
- Add pesto sauce, peas, and lemon juice; mix well and cover. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until carrots are tender-crisp.
- Add asparagus; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- Fold carrot mixture into quinoa mixture; mix well.
- Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. cheese.