This easy recipe is easily adaptable to include your favorite add-ins, like chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, coconut and peanut butter! Next time I plan to add dried Cranberries and slivered almonds!WHY YOU SHOULD OBSESS OVER THESE NO BAKE GRANOLA BARS.
- No baking required
- They are thick and chewy and they wont fall apart when you cut them!
- You can customize these granola bars a million different ways. Take the base recipe and add coconut, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter etc. You can’t go wrong.
MOM TESTED....KID APPROVED
- 2 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- 6 Tablespoons butter (*see note)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips , or other favorite add-in's
- Line 8 or 9’’ square pan with parchment paper, with paper some overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together oats, rice krispies cereal and flaxseed.
- Add butter, brown sugar and honey to a large microwave safe bowl and heat mixture on HIGH power for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir mixture until butter has melted. Return to microwave and heat on HIGH power for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully remove from microwave and stir in vanilla. Pour over oats mixture and stir gently until coated evenly. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Lightly grease your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Lay a piece of parchment or wax paper over the top of the bars and press extra firmly all around the pan to flatten the bars. This is the most important step to insure they don't crumble when you cut them.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top and press them gently onto the tops of the bars Or you can just mix them in,
- Refrigerate for about 1-2 hours before pulling up on the parchment paper to remove them from the pan and cut them.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for firmer bars or at room temperature for softer bars).
Bars are best enjoyed within 7 days.